Thursday 8 July 2010

More things slowly happening

I was at the Govan Cross site today, and the kerb setts have been laid down. Chunky pale grey. The loos still haven't been filled in with concrete yet. I spoke to Andrew Thomson, the site manager, a few days ago and he's said that he would be glad when that task (was going to say job, but reconsidered) was over. It must have to be a huge amount of concrete. I noticed today that they have some sort of netting over the hole where the loos are sited, so maybe that will help to decrease the amount of cement they will need. Dunno.

Am itching to get on with some drawing. I worked with Stewart Ennis last week to do some interviews with people around Govan Cross on opinions as to what should be in the engravings and got suggestions as diverse as pictures of seagulls and doves, to ships and the ancient stones to Govan's history of resistance and its strong propensity for a sense of community (that sounds a bit of a mouthful - the interviewees said it better).

I'm also itching to do some more work on the history. I've come across a great document in the form of, of all things, Glasgow City Council's 'Conservation Area Appraisal'. Go to http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Business/Planning_Development/PlanningPolicy/Conservation/Appraisals.htm to see more.
I think it's really well thought out and thorough. So I'm going to have a bit more of a read of that tomorrow. Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment